This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Seaxe Book Club
Rules are simple ...

1. Recommend an author
2. Recommend a book they wrote
3. What age group you would recommend this book
4. Say when you first read this book
5. Say why you liked this book

Even though it would be so easy to say "Everything by ...." please do not. The idea is we choose something more specific and talk about it.

I will get the ball rolling with ...

1. David Gemmell
2. Legend
3. 14+
4. I was 12 when i first read this awesome novel
5. The characters were complex and well written, the story was compelling and fast moving with plenty of depth to it. Druss the Legend!

The closed fist is strong yet at its heart lies emptiness

COTH: The Scholar
MCM: Frater Thule
HMS: PAIN
TONA: Olar Thesk
Shadows: Brother Cornelius
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
hmm. Nice idea for a thread Q. God there are sooooo many books in my library it's hard to pick just a few.

So I'm going to start with the book that changed me. The book that, despite its size and weight I finished in a day. I had read and loved books for years before this of course, but this one....well it started the revolution, one might say! Big Grin

Author: William Horwood

Book: Duncton Wood
(Book one of three of the Duncton Chronicles, which later gained another three books - the Book of Silence)

Age range: Any! You can quite easily read this to younger readers, however 7 or 8 would be a good time for them to read this themselves.

First Read: My sister thought I might like this so it was a Christmas present back in the late 80s. I cant pinpoint my exact age but I was roughly 7 or 8 (so 1986/7). Suffice it to say that I started to read it after dinner and it really did not get put down until the evening of Boxing Day when I had finished it.

What I liked: Thoroughly riveting characters and settings. This book uses all the Stones of the country - Uffington, Salisbury, Avebury, etc and creates a mythos around them - turns them holy and creates only one new element - Duncton Stone. He then manages to turn the Moles (yes, moles!) that this story is based on into characters that you gel with and whose story you have to know.

I've re-read them as an adult and they keep their hold on you. Some book you re-read and they lose their magic, not so the Duncton books. In fact all of Horwood's books have magic within their bindings.

If you see a William Horwood Book - BUY IT and read it.
http://www.williamhorwood.co.uk/fantasy-...books.html

(my other choices will have to wait - I've got to go to work now :/ )

Sam

Greetings and well met from the Forum Admin.

If you find a problem please email [email protected]
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
So looking at the origins of this club on the forum, shouldn't this be the Seaxe Backhand and Book Club? Wink
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
1. Steven Jackson and Ian Livingstone
2. The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
3. All, but teenagers, young adults and adults
4. 1984
5. You descided what happened, what the main character did and you got to fight monsters!

GB
Defend, Prevail & Conquer
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
1. Recommend an author
Terry Pratchett
Pretty much anything discworld - Guards Guards is a good start point though.
14+
I was about 12 I think.
So many reasons, the humour, the satire, the fact it is well written, the imaginative story line and excellent characters.....

Slice'nDice Master Surgeon of The Butt, Healer of the Balance. (HMS)
Charlotte Lugger Pir..Privateer and friend to those in need of company if they pay for it. (CoTH)
Cass Dunsirn Imperial Trencher, blower upper of things. (MCM)
Jane Torres, Order of Hermes IA Agent (ToNA)
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
Well there is two really

One

Author: Not sure since it was a classics translation

Book: The Twelve Trials of Heracles (note correct Greek name)

Age group: Well since it was in the class library, I guess 9+

First read: 1983 I was 9 (see above)

Why: Well if you are interested in legends, especially tragic ones and knowing that Hercules is not the original Greek name and why the Hera part was important a must really

Two

Author: Douglas Adams

Book: Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Age group: teens+

First read: 1983, first book I read for fun at home

Why: Well it is better than the TV series and miles better than the film. Without Adams we probably wouldn’t have gotten Pratchett

So in order the first three books I read because I wanted to were 12 trials of Heracles, HHGttG & the novelisation of Star Wars, which includes parts which were not in the original release of the film, strangely not all of these make them into the ‘new and improved’ version, though the new version contains parts not in the original story!
What darkness dwells within the hearts of player's? Only the Evil Ref knows!

I'm simply one Hell of an Evil Ref
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
1. Recommend an author
DAVID EDDINGS and LEIGH EDDINGS
THE REDEMPTION OF ALTHALUS
12+
MORE OF A COMEDY THAN ANYTHING ELSE, A BIT GIRLIE, BUT ITS A QUICK READ (ONLY COZ I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN). IF YOU NEED SOMETHING JUST TO ENTERTAIN RATHER THAN THINK ABOUT ITS THE BOOK FOR YOU, MAYBE FOR A LONG FLIGHT OR A MINI BRAKE.
Life is Love :heart: Love is Life
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
1. Luo Guanzhong

2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms

3. Adults and young Adults (perhaps 16+)

4. I first read this book when I was around 18

5. Well to put it bluntly, its an amazing book based on a mystical time of China, this inspired me greatly, and influenced me during a time when I was very obsessed with Eastern Culture.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms is acclaimed as one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature; it has a total of 800,000 words and nearly a thousand dramatic characters (mostly historical)

The story (part historical, part legend, and part myth) chronicles the lives of feudal lords and their retainers, who tried to replace the dwindling Han Dynasty or restore it. While the novel actually follows literally hundreds of characters, the focus is mainly on the three power blocs that emerged from the remnants of the Han Dynasty, and would eventually form the three states of Cao Wei, Shu Han, and Eastern Wu.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Story itself is so titanic, that many of the Ancestral Gods of China and Sentinels (Almost like Saints) In Buddhism are characters in this book

Pretty much 95% of all Period Movies from China are relevant to this book, or have characters from this book in them.

The recently made "Red Cliff" and countless others are actual movies based on the said events.

Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
Another one I really liked was the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, I read it while at uni and would recommend it for anyone teen+. I really enjoyed the style and the historical aspect as well as good character development and creative ideas.
Slice'nDice Master Surgeon of The Butt, Healer of the Balance. (HMS)
Charlotte Lugger Pir..Privateer and friend to those in need of company if they pay for it. (CoTH)
Cass Dunsirn Imperial Trencher, blower upper of things. (MCM)
Jane Torres, Order of Hermes IA Agent (ToNA)
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
Currently reading the Space Captain Smith books by Toby Frost. Im a picky reader but have stuck with this one, it appeals to my sense of humour :-)

i also recommend the Spooks apprentice series, they are young adult books but are very good and quite grim in places. I especially like the bit with the cakes made from babies.
HMS: Admiral Ting of HMS The Butt.
MCM: Sligo Dunsirn, Imperial trencher, 13th regt.
CoTH: Scrumpy Jane, Artisan, merchant and drunk.
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
1. P.S.Power
2. The Builder (Young Ancients Series book 1)
3. 14+ I'd say maybe a little older with its dryer humour
4. About a year ago
5. A Different take on magic with a lead who is very different from the norm. The story is engaging with a mix of comedy intrigue and high adventure. i found it a bit short but the series continues the story well and keeps picking up pace.
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by:
Let's resurrect this and get it going again!

Greetings and well met from the Forum Admin.

If you find a problem please email [email protected]
Reply Return to top
Thanks given by: